Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Hardest Part Is Letting Go Of Your Dreams

When my Dad dies, I was so unprepared for it. From not feeling well to sitting on the hospital floor holding his hand just after he died took two whole months.
I never got to say goodbye because I thought he would make it. It is my most painful regret.

I was reading this post today and it had me thinking of what an hell those nights were after he died.
The sheer weight of grief put me to sleep those night, but I would always wake up at 3am.
I would be wide awake and my mind would take me to horrible places. I would watch TV in bed to quiet the voice and take my mind off of the grief.
I had never had trouble sleeping before, I thought this was just a phase and I would "grow out of it" once I felt better.
After months of waking at 3am, I decided to take over the counter sleeping pills. They worked and I could finally feel rested again.
Then those stopped working as well so I moved on to the good stuff like Ambien and Lunesta.

Before I knew it I had been taking these pills every night for over a year. I loved them, it finally squashed the noise and let me sleep, a good dead sleep, but I knew I had to stop using them. It wasn't healthy.
I slowly weaned myself off of them.
I could sleep again without medicine!

I know that my sleep was interrupted because my brain was trying to wrap itself around the fact that one of the most important people in my life was now gone.
I know it was a symptom of my problems.
I wish I could have handled myself better, I wish I got the proper help I needed and probably still need.
I am happy I had the sleep medication when I needed it because at least I was sleeping and able to function to take care of my 1 year old twins at the time.
I just hope I never have to use them again.

2 comments:

  1. Pharmaceuticals helped me get through the five months during my father's deterioration and death and months and months after he finally died.

    It took me so long to realize, I was grieving so terribly while he was dying and I just couldn't function...thank goodness my daughter wasn't born until a year later.

    I'll never regret the need for them, because they helped me through the toughest time of my life. Ambien/Xanax became my friend ...literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Xanex became my friend and still is my friend. As much as I hate taking meds, I'm glad there available. Sorry about your father, I know when my father dies...I'll never be able to fully accept it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me