Friday, July 25, 2008

Cabbage Patch Beat Downs

I remember my mom telling me the horror stories of trying to get Cabbage Patch dolls for us in the 80s. She saw women fist fighting, men ripping packages out of a woman's arms and people being trampled. It really made her think about what people are doing to each other for a stupid doll and what she was willing to do to get us one. When a store has 25 dolls for 75 people who are waiting for it, just opening the doors and letting people charge isn't the best solution.
My Mom was willing to wait until she got a rain check and get a chance to visit the store room and pick out her very own Cabbage Patch Kids for us- Cabbage Patch nirvana.

As a mother myself now, I have been out shopping on Black Friday trying to get the toys my children want for a cheaper price. My kids are not old enough to want the "must have gift of the season" yet, I know it is just a matter of time though. Camping out in front of a store just isn't my style and I don't want to teach my kids that the instant they want something, they get it. Instant gratification isn't a great thing to teach children, in my opinion.

My kids will soon enough want the toys that advertisements and their friends tell them they "have to have", but I promise I will not knock you down to get it.
Well, unless you are blocking the aisle with your cart.
I just hate that.



Check out Hasbro's Hot Summer Toy Event and the Parent Bloggers Toy blog Blast!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:24 PM

    I'm with you on this. I'm not camping out, waiting in line or any of that crap for some toy and let me tell you, I've been down this road before. My son was 6 when the whole Power Rangers thing hit. Good God, what those parents would go through for that stupid crap! Ughhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is why i am a pseudo internet shopper. if i have to pay for shipping, I don't buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stole Jackson's Wii from someone in the parking lot. I figured that if I had to take it from someone, it was a lot cheaper after it was purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the lengths we'll go to! I like Internet shopping; I can comparison shop without wasting gas, and if I really look hard enough, I can often get shipping discounts or free shipping. Timing is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen sister! I totally agree. Although my mom didn't do the Cabbage Patch Doll. I found out later she got me a "doll baby" off the back of a truck in a parking lot. I never let her forget it & when I was in college she got me a Cabbage Patch Doll to make up for it. She had an original herself, with the signature & everything. Now my daughter has her own, mine & my mom's. A great tradition, even if I did have to wait for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I TOTALLY remember the whole Cabbage Patch thing. Out of CONTROL!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me