Friday, June 20, 2008

Parenting

Lately my daughter has been mean to her twin brother. When I say lately I really mean the last 3 years.
She will tell him he cannot have a birthday cake, throw a toy of his or call him a baby. Why she does this to him, the one person that loves her as much if not more then E and I, we don't have a clue. She is hot and cold.
If you ask her why she is mean to him she will now answer "I don't know".

How do you parent against that? Yelling "Then get into your room and don't come out until you DO know!" seems too...well, like something my parents would say. You know how us parents don't like to do anything our parents did.

I vow to never lick my finger and clean my kid's faces, to take the door of the hinges because I caught my daughter reading instead of cleaning her room (wtf? Why did my parents punish me for reading? Did they have something against education?) or wag my finger at my kids.


I was talking in a angered tone to one of my employees years ago and I stopped and looked down at my hand, pointed finger and rigid wrist going up and down.
"oh, no!" I said.
"what's wrong" my employee asked
"this, this is my mom's finger!"

I vowed to never do it again.
I won't, but if my daughter does not have reasons for being mean to her brother, well then, the finger might just be making another debut.

And it won't be my pointer finger.

5 comments:

  1. I have thought the same thing...and try my best not to act like my mother but I still catch myself doing it occassionally. Drives me NUTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she;s mean cuz she CAN be...it's safe and she knows he will always be there for her. They'll get over it. and the finger always comes in handy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids just being kids, doing what they know will drive us crazy.
    There will be more phases, I'm deep in the non stop talking phase with my daughter now. She could go on for HOURS and never stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh God....the answer I hated the most from my mother was "Because I said so, that's why."

    I've started saying it because my son is in his "WHY?" stage. I hate that I say it and have vowed to stop...
    So far that's what I have 'inherited'...

    ReplyDelete
  5. jacki, that "phase" has lasted as long as my daughter has talked! She never stops.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me