Thursday, February 23, 2006

Check It Out

One of my best friends went to her gynecologist around the same time I did in December.
Her doctor found a lump in her thyroid too and ordered blood tests. Hers came back fine, so did mine. I also went for an ultrasound which caught the "lump" on my thyroid. I went home & told her to get an ultrasound too because my thyroid function test came back normal as well, but well, there was something on it.
I went straight to a biopsy (which hurt like HELL, btw) and the cells came back "suspicious".

She just found out she too has a lump on her thyroid. Now she will have to go for a biopsy.

How freaky is that? Bottom line is, everyone woman needs to get their thyroid checked, by blood work and a head and neck exam. Your doctors should be doing this and even your dentist.
Thyroid problems are very common in women, and it can be inherited.

I will be having my operation at the end of March with the "World's Best Thyroid Man" where they will remove my right thyroid lobe and perhaps my left if it turns out to be cancer. I have a 80% chance it is benign.
Such great news for me and my family. I remain cautious but optimistic and have had great friends helping me out with support and advice. You guys are just great.
Virtual strangers reaching out to help and lend an ear. I love it. I love you.

Now go out and get your exams!
Right now, this means you.

7 comments:

  1. I've got Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and a goiter. Caught it when I changed doctors. Lucky for me.

    I've heard it's hereditary, so I echo your sentiments...y'all women out there, get it checked!

    Good luck on the diagnosis, my fingers and toes are crossed for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add it to my list when I go to the doc on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Thanks for the advice...will do!!! just wanted to let you know that you guys are still in our thoughts and prayers as you are on this journey...im glad that you have the "best thyroid man" on your case and it sounds like a good support network... even so, I very glad to have found you in blog world.... take care of those kiddos and yourself...xo lyns

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the excellent advice and i am glad to know that you have caught things at what sound to be an early time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good news all around. rio was grabbing at my throat today - can that pass for an exam??!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:55 AM

    Get your NECK CHECKED. That's the theme for Thyroid Cancer Awareness week which I think is sometime in August?

    I am hoping all goes well with your surgery and you get to keep your other half.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am 24 weeks pregnant and when they did my blood tests for being pregnant, they found my thyroid levels to be a little high. Then less than a month later a large lump appeared on my neck and I got my OB to check it during one of my appointments and he sent me to an Ear Nose and Throat doc. I have had the very painful biopsy and they diagnosed me with papillary thyroid cancer. So now I am debating on getting the surgery now or waiting.

    I just wanted to say that I am glad I found your blog and that I am not the only mom out there with thyroid problems. I also urge everyone to get their necks checked, no matter what your age is. I am 23 and when the doc was starting the biopsy he was sure it was going to be benign. Well was he pulling his foot out of his mouth when he told me that it was cancer.

    I just recently started a blog, but I am hoping we can be internet friends anyway. http://soccermom5982.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me