Thursday, March 17, 2005

Erin Go Braugh

Today is St. Patricks Day, one of my favorite days of the year. Or it was before my Dad died. We would go out every year and have lunch, visit with family, hit bars see the NYC parade. Tons of fun and he made it special. I hope to do the same with my children.
I am Irish. Very Irish actually, my name is very Irish and my children's names are also very Irish.

I will be cooking a traditional dinner and I wanted to make my great Aunt's Irish soda bread recipe but my mother forgot to give it to me. My great Aunt was a tiny round woman with a loud laugh, she lived with her brother who also was a tiny round man who could have very well been, a leprechaun. The lived in a small apartment in Hoboken NJ, where a lot of my family lived after they came here from Ireland. I remember going there for Easter and some other holidays and walking into the apartment building and thinking how much I hated all the smells. It depressed me. I thought if you lived in a apartment building you were poor and that depressed me too.

I thought for sure two leprechauns should have some money, or at the least, a pot of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me